Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Unlocking the Mystery

I wish I could unlock this mystery of why some days my legs and lungs feel like they are filled with cement and I struggle every step of my run. And other days, my legs feel like springs, and I feel like I can run forever. The days leading up to my 5k, I felt awful. Blamed it on my cold. The day of my 5k, I felt great and had that I could run forever feeling. Figured it was adrenaline. Then I ran the Thursday following my 5K, and had that same feeling that I could run forever. It was a nice cool evening and I ran 3.5 miles very easily. Never felt winded or tired. Stopped because it was pitch black and getting late.

Then last night I went and ran around 5:30. Rachel and Max went down to Genies to get their hair cut, so I had the night to myself. I went down to the track at the school on Dale Blvd (Bevel?), and students were still there. So I ran around the neighborhood. I could tell by the time I got to the end of the block that it was going to be one of those runs where I struggle the whole way. I started to feel a little better, but then by the time I finished mile 1, I was back to struggling. I ended up finishing 2 miles in under 20 minutes, so my time was pretty good despite it being difficult. I ran the same basic pace I did when I ran the 5k up in Alexandria. The run just seemed that much easier that day.

Still on the fence whether I should attempt that 5 mile trail run in December. I have some time to decide. I was gung ho, but after last nights run, Im a little scared. If I have a day like I did last night, I would never want to run all 5 miles. Would hate to pay for an event and then not finish.