Monday, August 29, 2011

Zero vs G2

Powerade vs Gatorade

When I first started running, I would drink seltzer when I was done. Not sure what it is about seltzer, but it never seems cold. When I drink it at work, I pour it over ice. When I drink it after a run, I guzzle from a bottle. Maybe I have ruined the refreshingness (is that a word?) by drinking it over ice at work. Anywho, so I started drinking Gatorade G2 low calories sport drink. I can usually pick them up for $1 a piece at Harris Teeter.

Last week I noticed that Gatorade was $1.49 and Powerade was something like buy 2 get 3 free. It worked out to be like $.90 a bottle, so I picked up 5. The other thing I noticed is that Powerade makes something called "Powerade 0" which is 0 calorie. I picked up 5 different flavors that interested me and put the lemon lime one in the fridge. The Gatorade lemon lime is that urine colored yellow, while the Powerade is more of a Prestone green. The other thing I noticed is that the bottle shapes the two products come in are very different.

Gatorade comes in a fat, stubby bottle. Powerade comes in a taller, more slender bottle. I think the Powerade bottle is more conducive to holding and carrying. I have small hands, so maybe that is why. As far as taste goes, Powerade definitely tastes different than Gatorade, but not in a bad way. I found it to be just as refreshing and easy drinking.

I don't really have an allegiance to either product, but as long as I can find Powerade for $.99 or less, I am going to stick with it. The G2 grape tastes amazing. I will have to see if Powerade grape comes close to the taste. I'll also "weed out" any of the flavors I don't care for.